Friends of Warriors’ Path State Park and our affiliates have made great strides in maintaining and improving the park. We are always reaching for bigger and better. Please visit our Wish List and Volunteer pages to see how you can help us achieve even more in the years to come.
- Widen bridge on Darwin’s trail in 2011
- Added a new trail named Pawpaw in 2010
- Added a beginner trail in 2013
- Built Kiosk at Disc golf course in 2011
- Built Kiosk at mountain bike trail head in 2009
- GPS all of trails to make a new map in 2011
- Working with TVA land managers to extend trails since 2010
- Flagged TVA land for future mountain bike trail in 2011
- Flagged Warriors’ to TDOT land that passes from Warriors’ under I81 bridge to TVA land 2012
- Mark mountain bike trails with new signs in 2010, 2011 & 2012
- General maintenance and re-routes to keep trails in shape yearly since 2002
- Extended existing parking area in 2012
- Repaired water damage to parking area 3 times in the last 2 years
- Added Rock City trail in 2006
- Added Ridge Top & Magic Carpet trail in 2007
- Extended Darwin’s trail in 2004
- Extended Bone Yard trail in 2006
- Re-routed White Tail trail 2007
- Cut several trees out of trail after big snow fall in 2009
- Installed a map box at the Warriors’ trailhead in 2014
- New trail map completed in 2014
- Bridges Fawm Loop & Pawpaw trails completed in 2014
- Bridge on Darwin’s Trail repaired in 2014
- Changing Station constructed in 2014
Boundless Playground “Handicap Accessible”
- Raised over $1,000,000 in cash and in-kind sponsorships to design, purchase all playground sand island, interactive maze equipment, constructed picnic pavilion, entrance pavilion and crossroads exhibit.
- Secured $400,000 Grant; $100,00 Sponsorship to construct Anderson Treehouse, History and Interactive Nature Trail Exhibits / Signs.
- Secured 500,000 LTPA grant to construct restrooms
- Secured grant to install WiFi at Playground
- Secured $100,000 grant from Palmer Center Foundation to construct Amphitheater
- Worked closely with Lions Club on the creation and construction of the Lions Narnia Braille Trail, interactive exhibits, signage, audio and braille interpretation, as well as, Omni Spinner – Estimated Value $150,000
- Provide funds to aid Naturalist in hosting educational programs annually.
- Purchased digital camera, computer, printer, scanner to assist with programming
Warriors Path Golf
- Association donated TV, VCR and portable toilets 2000-2001
- Spring 2005 – Secured $100,000 from Iris Grant to design, plan install playground landscaping
- Fall 2006 – Raised Sensory Bed plantings
- Fall 2008 – Braille Trail Interpretive Plantings
- Spring 2010 – Treehouse walkway plants
- Spring 2012 – Secured Iris Grants and created Rain Gardens to prevent playground flooding.
- Spring 2013 – Park Office garden beautification
- Ongoing – Maintenance of plantings in all of the above areas
- Betty and Neil Ottenfeld Native Plant Garden to 2013
- Native Plant beds behind Recreation Building in 2014
- In 2008, we raised money to replace the aging baskets at a cost of $3,000 which included a grant from the Kingsport Convention and Visitors Bureau for $1,000..
- In the last 5 years, we have installed 9 new holes bringing our course to 27 holes.
- Clear all fairways and basket areas of all downed limbs and branches.
- Replace 4 tee signs damaged by vandalism.
- Hosted regional tournaments and professional event each year, providing the seed money to purchase disc, replacement parts and general maintenance needs.
- Continue to support Second Harvest Food Bank by hosting Ice Bowls.
Mountain Bike Trails
- Opened 8-mile trail April 1999
- Car parking at entrance of trail – gravel topped in 2000
- Trail bridge installed August 2001
- Sponsored benches and water fountains on Duck Island for visitors and their pets
Safety / Emergency Equipment
- Secured sponsor to purchase automated debribrillator $5,000 value
- Initiated creation of a safety committee to annually access park facilities; which supported need for major improvements
- Supported Sullivan County Soccer Association in development of soccer fields, installing irrigation, fences, goals and other ground maintenance. Est. value $75,000